Friday, November 6, 2009

In Flight

I'm flying tonight. I hate to fly. It's unnatural- well, for us- humans, that is. I hate the stale air blowing on my hair until it is stuck to my head and grease pours from my scalp. I hate the inevitable motion sickness. I hate crossing my arms for two hours in the hopes of not touching the stranger next to me. I hate wearing anything low and tight. I hate thinking about how irrational it is to imagine plummeting to my fiery death on take off and landing (the most dangerous times you know). I hate when someone tells me I'm safer on an airplane than in a car. I hate lugging around a carry-on (with my work computer no less). I hate flight attendants who act like they've bestowed some great favor upon me by condescending to speak to me in surly tones. I hate people who roll their eyes at infants and children on flights.

So, think of me tonight on the plane, listening to the Indigo Girls singing

up on the airplane nearer my god to thee
i start making a deal inspired by gravity
if i did wrong i won't do it again
i can be sweet and good and nice
and if i had enemies they're friends
i hold onto my life with the grip of a vice

and send a little pray up even though you know, as I do, that I will arrive safely. I'll be glad to see dear friends and welcome their daughter into our family. And for that I would fly to the ends of the Earth.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had to fly, but I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time now that you're there. Snuggle that darling baby for the Reilly fam!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete