Monday, December 21, 2009

Growing Pains


Jax wakes up at night whimpering because his joints hurt from growing so quickly. I've made buckwheat hot packs out of blue flannel with hockey players whirling around the fabric to try to soothe away the ache. Sometimes it works.

Lately I'm having growing pains. Not the kind that will make me any taller (darn shame, too). It is the sort of time I know I will look back on as a cross roads in my life. A stark before and after. Thankfully, no tragedy has marked this time. Just an insistent shifting of the ground below me, a questioning of everything I know, of myself. I'm not entirely sure where this is going or why I need to be along for the ride right now. Because, the thing is, I feel grown.
Funny, so does Jax.

2 comments:

  1. My mom says the tide comes in and goes out and comes in and sometimes the tide goes way out and you don't know what's going to happen. It's going to be okay, though, I promise.

    Linds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grow deep, just not tall.

    K

    ReplyDelete