Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sweet Dreams

I need a good night's sleep. Jax has always invaded our bed, since the moment was brought him home and he nursed 24/7. That kid loves our bed. E used to be our best sleeper. He'd say good night, get bear, his poppys blank (my favorite down throw that he appropriated when he was about 18 months) and snuggle in for the night in his own bed. He slept a solid 12 hours and woke up happy. Then in the last few month he figured out that nothing prevents him from getting out of bed. Worse, he discovered that sometimes, after he is in bed, Jax sneaks into Mommy and Daddy's bed. Then the competition began. Now, at least one, but often both of them are climbing into bed with us in the middle of the night if we are lucky. More often in the last week, we are fighting with them to get into their own beds at bedtime- I know. It is crazy. We never expected to be negotiating who sleeps where with children. But after they get out of bed for the 30th time in an hour and have been crying the whole time, it wears you down.

Before I had kids, I was one of those smug adults who spoke knowingly of what I would never, ever allow my children to do. I would never allow them out of their chair in a restaurant, never let them sleep with me, never let them watch TV, never allow any sort of violent toy, no sugar, no sassy talk. Some of these rules have held fast, others have gone by the way side, most have reached some sort of realistic compromise that allows us to not be overbearing maniacs all of the time.

Oh, but the bed, the bed, the bed. Here is the thing. I cannot think of any more comforting thing in the whole world than climbing up into your parents' bed and snuggling down into the covers. Isn't it the seat of comfort, love and safety? And I know that we don't always have words for what ails us, we just need the touch and warmth of another person- someone to hold us close and soothe our hearts and souls. I also know that the day is coming when they will no longer want or be willing to crawl into our bed. This is a finite time- cherish it.

But, my God, am I tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment